Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D7000 vs. D3X in Studio

aztwang

Avondale, US
408 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
aztwang Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2009
Sun 19-Jun-11 06:23 AM | edited Sun 19-Jun-11 07:03 AM by aztwang

I was looking to pick up a D3X for studio work instead of my D3S. I wanted a few more megapixels and dynamic range for high contrast work. So.... I got back a D7000 from my son who did not honor his schooling obligations. After reading up on it and specifications I believe this will work fantastic in the studio given its native ISO of 100 and over one and a half stops more DR than the D3X. Given the extra 4 megapixels and increased DR I think the file quality and size will work out great after minimal post cropping. First studio session will be coming up this week ( just finished the studio) and I'll make sure to post some images up for ya'll.
I used it at a WNBA game last night. Settings were ISO 4000 @ F2.8 and 1000 with a 70-200 VR II. ( Phoenix Mercury vs. San Antonio Stars). Here's Mercury's Diana Taurasi driving the lane. Diana is one of the premier players in the WNBA. Uncropped, straight out of camera with the exception of about 20 points of sharpness and 55 points of noise reduction in Lightroom3. Second image Becky Hammond with the Stars trying to avoid Mercurys Dewanna Bonner. Similar adjustments and added some exposure.

Ciao

"Technical aspects MUST be innate"

Visit my website: phxsports.net

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G