Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
jaimielan

Russellville, US
70 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
jaimielan Gold Member Nikonian since 25th Oct 2007
Fri 28-May-10 07:59 PM

Last night a friend called me about 30 minutes before I left to view a school production of "Arsenic and old lace" and asked me to take some candid shots of the cast before and after the production as well as during the production.

I loaded up the camera bag with batteries, flashes and lenses and headed out the door. I took the candids and then staked my spot in the auditorium at about the same time they made the announcement that they were videoing the play and that no flash photography was allowed!

I had my 70-200 and bumped the iso on my D300 to 1600. It wasn't fast enough and I went up to 3200 before things started looking right. I have a D2H that was my primary camera before the D300 and even going to 1600 was a leap of faith for me but I was amazed at the photos at 3200.

The tough part was that the primary bank of lights that they used had yellow gels on them and gave a colorcast to the photos. I figured that I could set the white balance and take out that color cast. When I set the white balance, though, it seemed as if the yellow cast remained in the shadows. Is there a way to get that out in Aperture or will that require Photoshop?

Click on image to view larger version

The second problem was with the young lady with the red dress. I don't know if it was the lights or what but she came out with a very different colored dress in the photo. I went in the colors brick and changed it but noticed in Capture NX2 it came out the right color. Is that just an Aperture quirk? (The only adjustment to the photo below was the white balance. The dress is supposed to be red.)

Click on image to view larger version

Thanks for the help!

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

G