Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
paulswilliams

Overseal, UK
19 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
paulswilliams Registered since 29th Jul 2009
Sun 03-Oct-10 06:47 PM

Firstly, let me confess; I am a geek. Right, I said it.

So, to aid my ability to categories, search and catalogue my photos, I want to define a good taxonomy of keywords before starting to keyword my 4000 photo Aperture library. I have tried to keyword this before, and I have struggled to keep the scope and level consistent between photos for my mainly landscape based photo set.
What I am thinking is defining:

type ( landscape, portrait, wildlife) etc
event (if applicable) (e.g. holiday, birthday)
weather (if applicable ) (e.g. snowy, foggy, raining etc)
then decent hierarchy of landscape features e.g.
water> river > waterfall
or
hill > mountain > fell

and finally location
uk > england > cumbria > lake district > north west > haystacks

I don't want to start the key-wording before I have at least identifying the general types of classification I want to apply to the photos. This is where I have struggled before, i have started to keyword, and forgot for example to tag against weather, or event.

I am fine about identifying the actual keywords in the taxonomy obviously, but I would appreciate advise on the types of key-wording to apply.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G