Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
ericbowles

Atlanta, US
10528 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 17-Mar-14 10:56 AM

I'm working on a plan to move to LR. I want to make sure I understand the practical implications on workflow. I'd appreciate feedback on these key steps.

I will only be importing Selects into LR. That represents 5-6% of my total images or less. I will be keeping all images after initial pruning.

I'm typically going to have 30,000 new images per year. That's more than I can store on my computer, so they get moved manually to external storage drives. I organize folder names by location or client - year - date.

I will be editing the NEF in LR with other tools just on occasion. If I use other tools, I will also have a TIFF, PSD, or other such file.

After editing I will use LR to move the entire folder including the edited files to my storage drive and backup storage drives. This is a 4TB drive that is not normally attached - I have three of them. I want to keep all images for a folder together. This is why I think I need Smart Previews.

My computer hard drive is pretty large, but it will never have enough room for all my images, so I have to move images to a storage device after editing and immediate use.

Historically, I have made a copy of some Edited Selects and kept them on my computer hard drive for easy access. But with LR, this distorts the organization. I also might edit the copy on my computer and would want to retain those edits. I think this creates multiple full copies of the same file. This seems to be a problem area.

I expect to use Smart Collections to be able to see the Select images that have been edited. I use Color tags to identify the stage in editing.

Historically I have kept an additional copy of some Selects on my computer hard drive. These are the files I use if I need to make a print, resize for posting here, etc. I can use Smart Previews for editing, but it does not have the full size file. So how will I access the file?

The LR catalog will be backed up weekly. A copy of the backup file will be stored on my storage drive.

Any suggestions?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
2014 Workshops - Spring in the Smokies

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Clarifying LR workflow