Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
CK

Guelph, CA
1825 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
CK Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Apr 2004
Fri 14-Mar-14 06:43 PM

Hi again all,
I've been following the discussion about CNX2, LR, PSCS6, and the future of processing NEF files over on the Nikon software forum and was wondering if I could get a personal reflection from some of you? I am in th process of considering my next steps and wondered what your thoughts are on Adobe's current direction regarding leasing software. I know the advantages that Adobe claims, but wondered if there were any concerns re future pricing, ability to access altered files if one had to discontinue leasing the program for whatever reason, etc. Your thoughts?

In addition, I' m wondering about your opinion on a variety of options. I currently own LR 4, Elements 8, and have dabbled somewhat with CS6 (I particularly like layers, masks, content aware, and actions, and look forward to the easier dust detection method ). So, I've listed some options below and wondered what advice you might offer.

Oh, by the way, I will soon be turning 61, so only have about 30-40 years of post-processing ahead of me.

Here are the options I'm considering:
- purchase LR 5 and CS 6 (about $425 + tax with discounts on journeyed.com)
- purchase LR5 and Elements 12 (about $250?)
- lease LR5 and CS from the Creative Cloud ($120 US for the first year, after that ???)
- purchase LR5 and an entirely different editing package such as OnOne's Perfect Photo Suite 8 or the Nik package (any preference there?)
- go entirely non-Adobe and non-lease: Photo Mechanic and either the Nik or OnOne packages?

Take care, and thanks in advance.
CK
Nikonian in Ontario, Canada

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Thoughts on the future???

G