Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

why use lightroom instead of picasa?

geneluck

Reading, UK
3206 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
geneluck Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Oct 2004
Wed 18-Sep-13 10:23 AM | edited Wed 18-Sep-13 10:24 AM by geneluck

SO far I have used picasa as my file browser for about 5 years. (I have presently around 65000 pictures) I tried lightroom 5 for one month and decided against bying it in the end.
my worflow is very straight forward:
I use picasa to search for the picture I want to process, then open it with CS6, use NIK software as a filter addon if needed then save the modified file from within CS6.

I have read all kinds of things in various forum about lightroom, like lightroom is professional software,it offers very good editing tools,and saves the changes to the pictures.
Yes I can see that the support for lightroom will be much better than Picasa , but I have never experienced any crash with Picasa, so never needed any support.
I found lightroom very slow to start up and not giving me any advantage for searching my pictures. If I do not do any changes to the pictures in lightroom, I do not understand why it takes so long to start.

In terms of photo editing,
I find that CS6 +NIK software is all I need and I would need yet again to learn another package if I wanted to do some of the editing in lightroom.

I organize all my pictures by date + topic, and save a copy if I make a change.
Have I missed some major point which I should have looked at during my trial of lightroom?
Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Visit my travel website at http://www.jlpepin.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: why use lightroom instead of picasa?

G