Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Manual focus stacking in PS Elements

mvlow1974

US
107 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mvlow1974 Registered since 03rd Dec 2012
Sun 16-Jun-13 02:57 PM

Has anyone tried to manually focus stack images in PS Elements using layer masks? I was doing some research online and saw that the newest version of PS allows for automatic focus stacking, but PS Elements does not. I tried playing with a couple of my old images that had slightly different focus points and painted through the focus point on one image onto the other using a layer mask in Elements. It seems to work, but it is hard to tell if this is a really effective method as I had not taken the photograph's for that specific reason, so the focus points were really close to each other.

I want to experiment with taking landscape photographs with a close foreground image such as a rock, flowers etc. in sharp focus on one image, and the background such as a mountain in sharp focus on a second image and combining them using layer masks. I currently have PS Elements 9, but would consider upgrading to Elements 11 if this had a better method of focus stacking. I don't want to upgrade to a full version of PS due to the cost and I would not use most of the additional features that are in PS and not in Elements.

G