I have been using Photoshop Elements 10 which will not let me process NEF files from my new D7100. The camera raw in Elements 10 wont process NEFs. I'd like to buy Lightroom 4 but I know Lightroom 5 is in beta.
My question is if I buy LR 4 now, will Adobe charge me for an upgrade when LR 5 comes out if it does in the next 3 months?
This is probably a dumb question. I need to be able to process NEFs now.
Not a dumb question. Full LR is $149. An upgrade from an earlier version is $79. Whether LR 5 will be the same, I don't know. If you need something now, I'd get LR4 and don't upgrade right away to LR5 when it's available. Spread your cost out a bit.
I just did something similar to this. I have CS5 - bought the retail package LR4 for $90.00 from a brick and mortar camera store that also sells on e-way and will upgrade to LR5 after the bugs are worked out. If you go this route just make sure the LR package is a full retail box, the seals not broken, can be registered and is not the educational or upgrade version. There are counterfeits out there which is why I went with a well known store who also sells on line. Good luck.
Cold weather photography makes a VR lens your best friend. Think violent shivering. :-)
Chances are that Adobe will charge for an upgrade from LR 4 - LR 5. In the past I believe the upgrade has been about $79.
In the meantime, you might visit the Adobe website and see about using Adobe DNG (Digital Negative). I'll bet DNG files can be processed in Elements. You'd download DNG and then convert your NEF files to DNG and process the DNG files in Elements.
You might also want to consider Adobe's "post upgrade" policy in the timing of your purchase, given that LR5 will be coming out probably this summer I think. I have had to use it twice. When you purchase a version and then within a short while(they state I think 30 days, but that is or was flexible, in my experience), there is an upgrade out and available, Adobe will honor a free upgrade to the new version for those folks that just recently bought the previous version. You will need to keep receipts of course and buy from legit vendors(not ebay).
The policy is on the Adobe site for you to read about, Debra
I was invited to test the Beta version of LR5. I have been running it now for a month. It's not my busy time of year so I am not handling the usual 2-3,000 images per weekend like usual but I am doing a bit of work. So far it seems like a nice upgrade so I'd wait and get the new version if you can. There are new features in it that help a great deal....particularly in editing with filters and the adjustment brush. I have had each version of LR so far since the first one and each version does offer a few better enhancements. I'd wait...the new one is nice.
Tue 14-May-13 11:52 AM | edited Tue 14-May-13 11:52 AM by SupraDad
One thing you could do is get the beta version of LR5 and use it until LR5 itself comes out. One caveat: make sure your .NEFs are saved because there is always the possibility that they'll change something during the beta cycle (or beta to final product cycle) that would invalidate catalogs or something. That's what I've been doing with LR5 beta (I have LR4) - I keep the new photos separated from the stuff I've managed in LR4 in the past, and I have backups of all the .NEF files - so if worse comes to worst I'll just re-import the .NEF files when LR5 (real) comes out...
LR5 beta is FREE - it just turns back into a pumpkin when LR5 (for real) comes out. So, if you're already planning on buying an LR, this is a decent route to go...