Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Migrating from Aperture and dealing with RAW + printed JPGs

gobigdave

Scituate, US
83 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gobigdave Registered since 21st Aug 2006
Fri 05-Apr-13 04:56 PM

I’m about to move around 15,000 images over to LR4 from Aperture. Many of the earlier images are scanned from film JPG masters with minor edits. Starting once I got a camera that did RAW, I have all RAW files. I know I can’t move the adjustments from AP to LR4, but what I would like to do is have the file pairs be such that the edited JPG is what is shown, but I have the option to go back to the original RAW or JPG if I want to start over with edits. Normally, I wouldn’t do that, but I do occassionaly go back and redo a photo if I get a new tool, or I learn a new technique that could improve it.

Aperture provides a way to swap which file is the master (use JPG as master or use RAW as master). Does LR4 have something similar?

Since some of my files are JPG master + JPG edits, am I limited to a stack approach? I’m guessing that auto-stack isn’t going to work because the times on the files will not be close.

Is there a better way?

Note, I really would rather not keep everything in Aperture around because I’m guessing that will end up causing me headaches if I change things somewhere. Plus, I really don’t want to go back and forth between tools. I plan on making a clean break.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G