Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
mjhach

Simcoe, CA
612 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
mjhach Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Dec 2010
Wed 13-Mar-13 07:12 PM

I have read Scott Kelby's book re LR4. I just transferred a years worth of DNG (for which I have RAW files on another External, 2 in fact) to a new external HD and deleted them from another HD that was getting cramped. AND THEN THE UNTHINKABLE HAPPENED! That 2 week old HD crashed - --with all my DNG's that I JUST TRANSFERRED and had deleted the originals DNGs. Fortunately, I hadn't made too many LR4 adjustments to these non-critical files and had the RAW and PP'ed Jpegs backed up onto the other 2 externals I have.

So my quesion: DNG is supposed to be 20% smaller than RAW, but my files seem to be about 20% larger. It's not critical since my two external HD's are both 1TB and a third is 750MB plus my Tower HD. Why do I really need to make DNG files if I have the Raw and XMP's from my original images?? I will be the only one using the RAW files, not exporting to another's computer or anything like that. And what is a DOP file and what does it contain as compared to XMP? I know that XMP has metadata in it.

Another post I had, and maybe you were the one who answered it, saving to the original folder location from LR4, and not just keeping it in LR4, allows me to use external printers etc, but too, doesn't it allow me to have the two PP'ed backups of full size jpegs if the LR4 catalogue backups HD were to crash?

Mayber I should be making a copy of the LR4 catalogue backup files too?? Maybe too much redundancy?? I don't know. Comments please.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: DNG VS RAW