Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Kemo53

Tampa, US
117 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Kemo53 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Apr 2014
Fri 27-Jun-14 11:48 AM

I am constantly in search of pin point accuracy at distance and have spent an embarrassing amount of hours reviewing photos that absolutely nail it. My question is simple; how ?
If a bird/sportsman/animal etc is 200 or 300 yards away and I am correctly focusing on the head, with appropriate settings and lighting, I can often barely see the eyes... let alone focus on them. In other words, the subject is focused correctly but at a distance that makes it (for me anyway) impossible to tell precisely where the focus is. After crop, or experimenting in PP, I often find the focus was on the hair or neck or wherever. The photo is good... but not great.
I typically use a Sigma 18-250 and like it, but the question is more general in nature. Am I doing something wrong or just nit-picky ? Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Focus at distance