Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D5300 time lapse, video length, options??

lrbodnar

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lrbodnar Registered since 12th May 2014
Mon 12-May-14 09:02 PM

Hello, Ive just purchased a Nikon D5300, and am very excited to get shooting with it. This is my first DSLR, after along history of point and shots... etc.

Now ive just ordered the camera, and am still waiting for it to come in the mail, but ive started thinking about the different projects im going to be doing with the camera, and have thought of a few questions.

I have searched quite alot over the past couple days, and cant seem to find the answers to my questions online, so thats what brings me here.

1- One project im going to be working on is a piece were I want to set the camera up on a tripod, and leave it for about 8 to 10 hours. Im trying to get 10 mins of 1080p video in the beginning, and 10 mins of 1080p video at the end. So thats now leaving me with about 7 hrs and 40 mins of video that I would like to have speed up, to show time passing. From what ive been reading, the best way to do this is to take time lapse shot. My question is, is it possible to "program" the camera to take the full video, then automatically go to time lapse mode, then automatically got back to video mode?? Now even if this is not possible, maybe some tips on how to accomplish this, even if that means buying a second DSLR, of a Camcorder. Or maybe having to edit this in post.

2- This kinda leads into my second question, Ive seen that you should be able to export the live feed from the camera to your computer, which im guessing I would have to do, due to the amount of data this will be. Ive read all over the place that there is a firmware update for the D5100 to hack the video, and make this happen. I cant seem to find any information though on if this is needed on the D5300?

Lastly please keep in mind I am a beginner, and REALLY appreciate any sort of answer to either of my questions.

Thank you again.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D5300 time lapse, video length, options??

G