Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Shooting video outside (settings)

TheOneisBack

AU
1 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TheOneisBack Registered since 26th Feb 2014
Wed 26-Feb-14 03:40 AM

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

Basically I'm quite new to the whole DSLR world and I'm trying to learn how everything works at my own pace. I own a Nikon D5100 and I'm in the process of wanting to shoot a short film however before I can do that I need to make sure I fully understand settings and how to shoot in the best way possible. With that said I have been playing around with settings and just experimenting.

This brings me to my question. Whenever I shoot outside in the sunlight I get these patches of white where the sun is really bright (I'm not sure the technical name for this). This makes it really hard to color correct the footage in post editing to make it look cinematic

Click on image to view larger version

Here an example image I found to best describe what I'm trying to say. See how the path and sky are all white and bright. (Note the example image was not taken with my DSLR but that's the kinda thing is doing when I try to shoot in sunlight). Am I able to change some settings to reduce this and get the correct color?)

These are my current camera settings:

Click on image to view larger version

G