Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D3300 ?

OwenWilkins

NZ
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
OwenWilkins Registered since 24th Jan 2014
Fri 31-Jan-14 06:53 AM

Hi. I wish to choose either the D5300 or the D3300 for landscape (mainly) and flower photography. I want to take the camera on multi-day tramps (hikes). Want for it to be possible to make rather large sharp prints of landscape/ bush scenes: maybe 30 cm X 60 cm or so. Might only purchase the one lens for this "outfit", the DX 35 mm f1.8. (Might add some extension tubes to enable close ups of the flowers). The D3300 appeals as it is cheaper. It is also lighter and is specified as consuming somewhat less battery power. But it lacks Mirror Lockup. I have read that the mirror does go up in Live View mode but I do not know if wants to be using this mode all the time. I have no experience with an SLR with Live View. I imagine that, in bright (outside) conditions, one would prefer to work with the optical finder. I do not want the WIfi or G.P.S. of the D5300 and do not know if I would like or dislike the articulating LCD screen. I fear I would not like it .
I would,if I had Mirror Lockup , use it all the time. I use a tripod.
What sort of MLU does the D5300 have? How is it engaged? Does the Nikon cordless remote control,( the? ML3 ) enable the mirror to be locked up or pre-fired?
Finally , do you think it is an essential feature to enable the large , sharp landscape prints?
Am I failing to appreciate another feature that the D5300 has ?
I thank you for considering these questions.

Clarke.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Mirror Lockup as Differentiator between D5300 and D...

G