Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Decent weather to use the D3100 + comparison with x pro 1

Grumpy old Man

UK
10 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Grumpy old Man Registered since 08th Jan 2014
Fri 10-Jan-14 04:46 PM

Sun was shining so jumped out of bed early for a change. Went up to the coast to put the 18-200 lens through it`s paces on the d3100.

More than pleased with the results and even more pleased with the light weight to carry around.(can`t believe I`m enjoying an entry level camera so much after years of pro gear)

Whilst shooting and being parked close I did a few comparisons. the fuji x 18-55 IS lens at various focal lengths vs the Nikon 18-200 at as near a focal length as poss( hand held and nothing special)The nikon zoom beats the fuji zoom for sharpness a definition, IMHO colour was also a tad better from the Nikon but that is easily fixed.(remember the fuji sensor doesn`t have an AA filter) I don`t have any nikon primes so I had to put the nikon zoom up against the Fuji 35mm f1.4 at various subjects and F stops. Got home , loaded the images and waited for the BIG gap in the prime vs zoom images!!! had to check to actually make sure which was which although like before the nikon colours were more natural but as far as res and sharpness out of the camera I could maybe see just a hint that the fuji prime was a very small fraction ahead.I called my wife who has eyes and ears like a well honed wild beast and if anything she came down on the side of the nikon zoom( I didn`t tell her which was which side by side on a 27" Dell monitor)
Well I never put up images so you`ll have to take my word for it, OK enough pixel peeping for today me thinks.

What would have made it more interesting would have been to throw the 5d3 into the mix with maybe Canon + Contax lenses but I think that would be going a touch too far.

I certainly don`t regret buying that zoom over a shorter focal range one.
Just thought I`d share for anyone considering the Nikon combo.

BTW I was a federation photographic judge for a number of years and although I could never hope to be a really expert photographer I sure know whats good or bad.(you don`t need to be able to play a violin to know when one is being played well;-)

Dave

I feel much better now I`ve given up hope

G