Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Choosing the Right Camera...

TiffTheMetalhead

US
5 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TiffTheMetalhead Registered since 22nd Feb 2012
Wed 22-Feb-12 10:27 PM

Hello everyone

I'm hoping to get some experienced advice in a certain matter. I will be attending the Illinois Institute of Art for a B.F.A. in Digital Photography soon. I've been researching my camera options - both in stores and online. I have obtained opinions from instructors, employees at camera stores and many online reviews, rants, raves, etc. And yet, I still can't narrow down which camera to purchase. I am stuck between the D5100 and the D3100.

I was just in a camera store, and the employee explained to me I am better off buying the D3100 because the body is cheaper, and he would suggest putting money toward lenses instead of a more expensive body. He also said the differences between the D5100 and the D3100 are minimal and, in my case, won't make a real difference.

While trying to balance cost and quality - I'm finding it very difficult to find a middle ground. I don't plan on using video, so there's that. Just as I think I know which one or the other that I'm going to buy, I read something that puts me off for another few days. I don't claim to be an expert photographer yet, but I am quite skilled with a point and shoot. I know the basic differences of the D5100 and the D3100 (fps, etc) but I cannot tell if one or the other is impractical to last me 2 years of photography classes? Could anyone offer me solid evidence to make my choice?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Choosing the Right Camera...

G