Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D5100 Manual Focus Advice

Dark Raven

UK
7 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Dark Raven Registered since 25th Dec 2011
Sun 25-Dec-11 08:48 PM

Hi all just joined this forum I'm a keen amatuer photographer and just got the d5100 around September this year after previously owning just compact cameras. I got the 18-55mm kit lens then bought the Af 50mm f/1.8D lens for portaits and bokeh etc. The d5100 is great and I know that the 50mm lens is good but I find I struggle with manual focus and feel that is what I need to master but felt that would be one of the easiest things to achieve first. Any tips and advice on this. My 50mm lens is the one you have to manual focus only. I wish I had paid the bit extra to get the g lens and Only went for this one as it was cheaper after my initial outlay of camera bag and case etc. I didnt think manual focus would bother me so much but it does. I guess its when the dot is on the viewfinder that focus is right but I find it fiddly and not always easy to get the stop to stay lit and requires a lot of fine tuning and patience thought I know there are situations when using manual focus is the better option.

I had read a D5100 blog online where the guy said never go for a G lens as having no aperture ring was a step back and a handicap but since I find that the D5100 cant use the aperture ring anyway I cant see that having the G lens would have been bad. I feel that choosing the cheaper lens may have been a false economy. Sometimes your portrait pics seem ok on screen. Its not until you use the screen to zoom in or check your pics at home that Ive realised they are too blurry for me. What would you suggest for eg taking a photo of my neices dog or had and shoulders shots of my neices indoors. Ive had d lighting turned on. Any tips is appreciated. Thanks.
Peter Finnegan.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D5100 Manual Focus Advice