Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Strategy for taking photos of birds--please comment!

coolmom42

McEwen, US
4139 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
coolmom42 Moderator Awarded for her enthusiastic support of the community and exemplifying the Nikonian mission “Share, Learn and Inspire” Nikonian since 30th Nov 2011
Fri 09-Dec-11 02:09 AM | edited Fri 09-Dec-11 02:11 AM by coolmom42

My photo project for the weekend is to get some good pics of birds at my feeder and in the shrub next to it. I have a plan---being new at this I have to think it through. Please comment on any aspect of the plan that should be changed!

I have a D3100 with 18-55 & 55-200 mm lenses.

*Shoot around 3:30-5:00 PM, when the birds are most active and the light is not directly overhead.

*I want to freeze motion, so need a high shutter speed. I also want a blurred background (as much as possible) so I will use my widest aperture available. I plan to shoot aperture priority with auto ISO and maximum exposure time set to 1/500 sec.

*white balance to direct sunlight, that is the forecast, will adjust as needed.

*use my 55-200 mm lens with hood. Fill the frame as much as possible with the subject.

*picture control to neutral--my personal preference.

I'll check these settings for exposure, move around some to check background, etc beforehand. Then pick a spot to sit quietly while the birds come to the feeder.

All constructive comments appreciated!

G