Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D3100 battery life and battery "copy protect"

altanner

UK
4 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
altanner Registered since 21st Jan 2011
Sat 05-Feb-11 03:32 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a D3100 - loving it very much, apart from its battery. Compared to my D40, its battery life is pretty poor. The D3100 manual says that it should take 500 shots, 50% with flash before needing a recharge. I can get about 200, none of them with flash, before needing a recharge. I am recharging fully and have tried fully discharging and charging it but I still get about 200 shots. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, I certainly do not like the new "feature" of the camera locking out if a non-Nikon battery is inserted. Yes, I know Nikon will say "ah but non-Nikon batteries overheat and anything could happen", but I have used non-Nikon batteries for years, as have many friends, with no ill-effects. I know there is a minimal risk, and I choose to take it. I use non-Nikon batteries because they are £5-£8, and they out-perform genuine, £50, Nikon batteries. Normally I would carry four or five batteries, which now would cost me around £250! If Nikon want us to buy their batteries, they should make them outperform their competitors, and price them properly, not just give their firmware a form of battery "copy protect". They manage to make high quality bodies and lenses which are worth what they cost, which is why I buy their kit. Why can't they manage it with batteries?

That said, does anyone know of a firmware hack to get around this? Does the P7000 have this "feature"? (I have some batteries to sell...)

Thanks for any info, thanks for listening to my little rant!

Al

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D3100 battery life and battery "copy protect"

G