Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Advice on some settings for the D3100

nikon3100

PT
28 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
nikon3100 Registered since 14th Dec 2010
Thu 16-Dec-10 08:06 AM | edited Thu 16-Dec-10 08:06 AM by nikon3100

I've been spending more time going through the various settings of the D3100 and would like to have some opinions on what other users use.
What colour space setting is better to use, sRGB or Adobe RGB? I have mine set to sRGB.

RAW or fine jpeg? Taking file size out of the equation, is there any noticeable (as in visible) difference between the two? E.G. would RAW give better colour graduations on finer detail?

Noise reduction on or off? Does having it on negatively effect the image quality in any way? I have it on at the moment.

Auto distortion control on or off? Again does having it on negatively effect the image quality in any way? I have it on.

Should I just leave white balance on auto or make tweaks to it? Is the D3100 biased toward one side of the spectrum or another making white balance adjustment necessary?

What about Picture Control settings? Does one generally leave these as default or tweak them? I played with it a little but noticed no difference but then it wasn't a very scientific comparison at high resolution.

I'd be interested on hearing your thoughts.

D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens + 55-200mm Zoom

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Advice on some settings for the D3100

G