Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

New Member, not happy with new D3100

GuyTimes

US
3 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
GuyTimes Registered since 04th Nov 2010
Thu 04-Nov-10 11:29 AM | edited Thu 04-Nov-10 11:44 AM by GuyTimes

Hello all. I am a long time point and shoot camera user. I have owned 3 digital point n shoot cameras (one kodak and two sony) over the last ten years, and have taken at least 10K pictures. I know the BASICS of photography, and know how to get the most of my point and shoot.

I have been saving my pennys and waited until the D3100 was released. I build ukuleles and need to take semi-professional pictures of them for my web site.

I've had the camera about a month, and have taken about 200 pictures with it so far with limited success. MOST pictures are not very sharp(a bit blurry). It's as if the camera is not focusing correctly? I have uploaded a few pictures to my gallery so you can see what I'm talking about. I have the camera set to auto focus in these pictures. In the people pictures I have it set to aperture priority, metering mode, center weighted, and in the ukulele picturess, I have it set to fully automatic, metering mode, center weighted.

I also uploaded a picture (Maple and redwood ukulele) taken with my Sony DSC W350 pns camera, and you can see how sharp the focus is.

Is is possible I'm doing something incorrectly? I don't really see what I could be doing wrong. Is it possible there is something wrong with this camera from the factory?

Please note, there are TWO pictures here (Larissa, and Larissa and Leah) that look fantastic. And these were taken with OUT a tripod. I am not sure why those two are nice and sharp, but the majority of pictures I've taken are a little blurry.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I'm not trying to be a "professional" photographer. I was under the impression I could get a better picture with this D3100 than with my PNS, but these pictures are not sharp.

Thanks
Tom
Louisville, KY

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: New Member, not happy with new D3100