Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash only fires in "Auto" mode

b_beesley

UK
6 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
b_beesley Registered since 08th Sep 2010
Wed 08-Sep-10 09:50 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I'm also pretty new to photography, I've had my D5000 for about a month now. Up until this weekend everything has been going great, however I've run into the first problem I cant answer for myself.

I was at a party last weekend with my camera. I normally shoot in Aperture priority mode, and since I was indoors I was mostly using the flash as well. This was working fine. Later on in the night some friends of mine went outside for a cigar, I decided to follow to get some shots. It was very dark. My camera settings were as follows:

Aperture Priority
f/1.8
ISO A (with no max limit on ISO)
Flash Normal

I framed my shot, focused on my subject, and pressed the shutter release. No dice. The "ISO Auto" indicator flashed at me, the shutter didn't release, the flash didn't fire.

I tried this a few times with a few different compositions, aperture settings, etc, to no avail. I then tried it in "P" mode, again, no luck at getting a shot.

Finally I tried the green "Auto" mode. It did the TTL pre-flash thing then low and behold it worked.

I then copied all the settings it had used on auto, the Aperture, shutter speed, ISO, flash setting and set it up in manual exatly the same as it has auto set itself up, framed the same composition. Back to no luck. The "ISO Auto" indicator flashes at me, the shutter doesn't release, the flash doesn't fire.

Back inside again, in better light, everything starts working again.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this? I dont want to have to shoot in auto mode just because I want to shoot in low light with a flash. I want to be able to control the shot myself.

Any help here would be much appreciated.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Flash only fires in "Auto" mode

G