Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Recommended camera

gobigdave

Scituate, US
83 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gobigdave Registered since 21st Aug 2006
Thu 14-Mar-13 08:46 PM

My daughter is 10 and interested in learning more about photography. She's really interested in getting beyond simply snapping photos with her iPod Touch, and she wants to do things more like I do. The thing is I'd like to get her a camera that allows for more control (vs. only Program mode), but I don't want to break the bank in the process. Unfortunately, the trend now seems to be backwards from what it was when I started up. The entry level cameras were very basic, and you had spend more to get all the auto features. Now, it seems you have to spend more to get the more creative controls. Ideally, I would love to have something simple like an FM10 but digital.

Any recommendations? Note, please don't recommend film cameras. I have no interest in her burning roll after roll of film while she experiments. I still have that old Braun and an original Monolta, but those are not what I'm looking for.

FYI, I picked up photography in the 80s using a 1940's vintage Braun 35mm camera. No meter, no auto, nothing. The sunny f/16 rule led the way, but because of that I have a good understanding of how aperture and shutter speed work. Maybe I'm an old-school engineer, but I find incredible value in understand how the basics work before I give up control to a computer (and I'm a CTO in the software biz). Now, I'm working with a D600, and I spend most of my time in aperture priority.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Recommended camera