Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Selling Motorsports images

DMKerr

Concord, US
350 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
DMKerr Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Feb 2010
Mon 23-Sep-13 12:49 PM

Hello folks, I am looking for someone with experience selling images to the motorsports crowd that can give me a few pointers. I'm primarily a portrait/wedding/event photographer but I've found myself in a position with excellent access to New Hampshire Motor Speedway which hosts two NASCAR events a year along with multiple races from other series. I have been working with the folks from the track photographing fans for awhile now and as a result I've been approached by a couple of drivers/teams looking for images of drivers (with fans, in the garage, on the track etc). So far I have been unavailable to provide services due to prior commitment but I want to be ready to respond with a realistic compensation quote and a decent understanding on how these transactions are typically conducted.

For my typical business I receive payment in full before I ever show up for a wedding/event and then up sell images and albums etc. One of the marketing companies that has approached me wanted to purchase individual images and I have no idea what these would be worth (this was a driver from the Can-Am series). Another team wanted me to spend time in the garage area, autograph sessions and on track images. I would be fairly dedicated to the team for a good portion of the event. Would this be approached something like a commercial shoot where I would quote a daily rate?

I have no idea how these transactions are handled but I have spoken with a couple of other photographers at the track who said they have had issues getting paid for work/images in the past, getting the run around between the team and the sponsors when its time to write the check. I've learned my lessons the hard way with weddings and events and I don't want to repeat that process again.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G