Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon 24/3.5 PC-E: edge unsharpness: who noted this also?

lukaswerth

Lahore, PK
578 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
lukaswerth Registered since 24th May 2012
Tue 26-Feb-13 06:23 AM | edited Tue 26-Feb-13 11:53 AM by lukaswerth

I have been using this lens now since last summer, and I find myself consistently confronted with a problem: at many settings,also with no tilt, it becomes quite unsharp on the left and the right side. For what I can see, the both sides go out of focus, because the area of sharpness seems to be distinctly bowl-shaped. This is annoying, as this becomes even more of a problem when the lens is shifted, particularly when I shift upwards to get the housetops.

A case in point is the picture below which I just uploaded: the enlargement possible is not quite enough, but if you go to the address pasted in and watch the enlarged version carefully you will see that the image is out of focus at the right side, while the wall and the man on the left side, being nearer to the camera, are in focus.

Click on image to view larger version

images.nikonians.org/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/414365

Has anyone else noted this, and is there a way around it? Can this be mended by Nikon?

By the way, it seems to me that the 45mm PC-E, which I don't possess, has the same kind of problem: on the Nikon website which shows sample images for d800/d800e, there is a downloadable file of a sunlit patch of forest moss taken with that lens, apparently tilted, and when you scroll through the file at 100%, you also see a distinct unsharpness at the edges.

Lukas

Trying to be a keeper of the light

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 24/3.5 PC-E: edge unsharpness: who noted this...

G