Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Need help with new (used) Nikkor 50mm F1.8 Ai-S lens

Sportymonk

Rocky Mount, US
814 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Sportymonk Registered since 16th Jul 2007
Sat 07-Dec-13 12:19 PM

Have always wanted a 50mm 1.8 for my D300. Just got a Nikkor 50mm F1.8 Ai-S lens ($45) Good shape but a few questions.

Set the Camera to Setup/ Non-CPU lens data/ #1/ Focal length = 50/and Max Aperture = 1.8

Anything else I need to do? Focus and aperture are manual but metering works fine.

What is the metal piece sticking up off the lens here the setting numbers are? (See image) It appears to serve no purpose at least with my setup. Do many of you remove it?

The seller threw in a skylight filer for free but after cleaning, the filter still looks like the coating has rubbed off (See image). Would you get a new filter?

Also, there is no lens cover with it it. Since the skylight filter is 52 I assume the lens cover is a 52 mm also.

Initial reactions: Wow. Test shots are sharp and both does it manually focus quick and smoothly compared to my 17-55 2.8. Feels odd not to have all that wight on the front of the camera. With the 50mm, its like something is missing. (Up until now I have only had two lenses the 17-55 2.8 and a 80-200 2.8, both much heavier).

So now I in the exciting new world of prime manual focus lenses. A whole new experience.

Click on image to view larger version

Click on image to view larger version

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Nikonians is the Smithsonian of Nikon knowledge. If there is a question they can't answer, I want to see the question.

My Gallery: www.HLDPhotos.com
My Blog : www.HLDPhotos.blogspot.com

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Need help with new (used) Nikkor 50mm F1.8 Ai-S len...

G