Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

How sharp are those old lenses?

Leonard62

Pa, US
4419 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Leonard62 Gold Member Awarded for excellent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community, especially of Nikkor Lenses Writer Ribbon awarded for his contributions to the Nikonians Resources articles library Nikonian since 15th Mar 2009
Wed 04-Dec-13 05:41 PM

Some of them are very sharp.

I set up a little test shoot using my little model and three lenses. The setup was about 2.9' from the model. A D5100 was set up on a tripod and the lenses were all taken in the same light from the same position at ISO 200, f1.4 and 1/60 sec and focused in LiveView.

Here is the full photo shot with the 5.8cm lens..

Click on image to view larger version

Here are tight crops of the area I focused on using LiveView and manual focus with all 3 lenses.

From left to right. Non-AI 5.8cm f1.4, AF 50mm f1.4D, AFS 58mm f1.4G. I increased the enlargement slightly for the 50mm lens. Other than cropping there is no other post processing.

Click on image to view larger version

The 5.8cm f1.4 lens was the first f1.4 lens made for the Nikon F in 1959. This one was made in 1960 and is in mint condition. I will be using it a lot on the new Df body.

Len

Attachment#1 (jpg file)
Attachment#2 (jpg file)

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: How sharp are those old lenses?

G