Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Input on choosing a Tilt & Shift lens wanted

noneco

Vancouver, CA
321 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
noneco Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his very generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2015 Nikonian since 12th May 2009
Sun 03-Nov-13 07:06 AM

I need a little input on choosing a Tilt & Shift lens – dare I say it – possibly not a Nikon.

When I first started researching this, and with some helpful input from this forum, I figured on a 24mm as I am more interested in landscape over product, portrait, or architecture. I rented a 24mm PC-E and I like the DOF and image shifting. I went through my image catalogue paying attention to the ones that “felt” the best to me and looked for a trend in the focal length. Conclusion: for landscapes I do not particularly like the artificial depth produced by wide angle lenses nor the flattening of telephotos. I tend to try for a feel of reality which means something in the 43mm range.

What started my search is a planned trip to Iceland in February with images of glowing ice caves in my mind; walls receding at various angles and standing in cold running water. The PC-E lenses’ lack of individual tilt and shift orientation will limit creative opportunities plus the control dials are small and can be difficult to fine tune; especially so with gloves on colder days.

What I need is feedback on your experiences with non-Nikon 45mm-ish T&S lenses. I would like to say “price is of no object” but I do have marriage to protect. Which means the Hartblei 4/40 IF TS Superrotator at $7,000 is best not considered; unless someone knows of a used one?

Thanks. Cal

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Input on choosing a Tilt & Shift lens wanted

G