Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Amazing value manual Nikon 800mm f7

joyt

UK
46 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
joyt Registered since 03rd Aug 2013
Thu 17-Oct-13 10:50 AM

Following advice from this forum I have just acquired a Nikon TC 301 2X converter to go with my Nikon 400mm f3.5 IF ED AIS total cost of the two £1850.
All I can say is that I am amazed at the combination. One thing that I did not expect as an additional extra is that it balances the lens much better as the lens is top heavy with no converter attached. Secondly it is easily hand holdable and focuses really easily such that a fly on a leaf is crisp at 60 feet hand held in poor light.
Now I haven't yet had it out for birding because of the weather but I can't wait to see the results on and off a tripod.
I may be very lucky with the quality of this particular lens and converter (both of which were bought in mint condition) but would really recommend anyone on a limited budget who is not afraid of manual focus seriously considering this duo as where else can you get an 800mm f7 at such amazing value!!
When weather improves I will post photos.

G