Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikkor 5.8cm F/1.4

davecarroll

Knoxville, US
12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
davecarroll Registered since 29th Sep 2013
Mon 14-Oct-13 03:00 PM

Ever since I got this lens earlier this year, attached to a very early Nikon F, it has become one of my go-to lenses for photographing people (my favourite subject matter).

Click on image to view larger version

My copy was a little worse for wear when I got it, with some minor fungus and a little edge separation. The focusing and aperture rings were also very stiff in use. However, after a strip down to clean everything, it is now very smooth to use and the glass, while not perfect, is good enough that it doesn't seem to affect the photographs in any noticeable way.

What I love the most about this lens is the way it is very sharp in the center, even when used wide open, but then softens in a very pleasing way towards the frame edge. I realise this may not be everyone's cup of tea, but for what I use it for, it is close to perfect. The slightly long focal length also means I can get in a little closer on head shots before noticing too much distortion on facial features.

Here are a few samples, all shot at F/1.4 on Tri-X.

Cheers,

Dave

G