Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

300/2.8 AI-S impact damage - cost to repair?

D2xer

Oakland, US
196 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
D2xer Registered since 31st Oct 2012
Thu 10-Oct-13 06:21 AM | edited Thu 10-Oct-13 06:46 AM by D2xer

Has anyone ever dropped their 300/2.8 'front-first' onto it's lens hood? I've just sent one belonging to a friend off to Nikon for an estimate - the hood was driven hard up the main body of the lens at an angle, and couldn't be worked loose by any reasonable means.

I believe the hood was in the locked position when dropped (maybe 3 or more feet to a hard surface), thereby mashing the locking threads together and making forced removal impossible without the risk of even more damage. It seems likely the hood will have to be 'surgically removed' in order to be replaced.

Has anyone had this type of damage repaired, or have any idea of the cost, if done by Nikon?

Fortunately, the glass looks perfect, and everything except the hood still functions.

PS - In case you're wondering, I wasn't the one who dropped it! 8>)

thanks
D2xer

G