Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Rare-ish lens dilemma.

davecarroll

Knoxville, US
12 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
davecarroll Registered since 29th Sep 2013
Mon 30-Sep-13 05:33 PM | edited Mon 30-Sep-13 05:49 PM by davecarroll

I bought a plain prism F with 5.8cm F/1.4 lens recently, which I love. Both body and lens were a little rough, but I have fixed up what I need to as far as making them useable again.

However, in the bag with these, and included in the $100 cost, was a Auto Nikkor 8.5-25cm f/4-4.5, the original version with the scalloped metal focusing ring. From my research, this is a fairly uncommon lens, being only produced for a short while before modifications were made.

Unfortunately, the glass is in an awful state! It has probably the worst case of fungus I have come across, and I do not trust myself with dismantling and cleaning it as I would with a fixed focal length lens. Looking at the condition of the elements, even a cleaning may not be enough to save this lens, but I hate the idea of just throwing it out, or leaving it as it is. The body of the lens is also a little rough, but serviceable.

Just wondering what others may do in this situation. If it were a common lens, I would just bin it as it cost me effectively nothing, but am finding that hard to do with this lens.

Click on image to view larger version

G