Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Oil on rear element

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Tue 04-Jun-13 01:19 AM | edited Tue 04-Jun-13 01:28 AM by NikonMark37814

Several years ago based on recommendations from Nikonians I sent a 50 f/1.4 AIS lens to a famous Nikon repairman in south Florida. His name escapes me. He was famous for restoring rangefinders and he died recently. I sent him my 50 for a cla because it had a stiff focus ring. It did not have oil on the rear element when I sent it to him. Eventually he cla'd and retured the lens which works great but he returned it with oil on the rear element. When I contacted him he said the oil was from the aperture blades and the oil will not hurt the images. I asked about the oil removal and he said it was not worth it because the lens will still take great pictures. Between the cost of the lens and the cost of the repair I ended up with a 50mm that I cannot sell. The oil looks like a puddle of water.
I'd like to ask knowledgable Nikonians if the oil will hurt the images taken with a digital camera? Under what circumstances will it show up? Since it is uneconomical to repair is it worth a DIY attempt or should I send it off to another repair facility like APS to have the oil removed?

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G