Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon 20mm f2.8 Ai-S repair

thormx538

US
83 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
thormx538 Registered since 05th Jul 2012
Fri 31-May-13 12:58 PM | edited Fri 31-May-13 04:19 PM by thormx538

Hi all --

I just ordered an UG condition 20mm 2.8 Ai-S from KEH. It hasn't come in yet, so I don't know exactly what is wrong with it (if anything besides cosmetics) to warrant the UG rating. In the event it has fungus/severe dust/stiff focus and needs a CLA, I am looking for some information on the disassembly of this lens.

Has anyone ever taken one apart? I can't seem to find a repair manual from any of the usual sources (Ebay, Googling for a PDF, etc). From what I read, it is easiest to go from the front of the lens using a spanner tool (which I own). I have seen various tutorials/Youtube videos on the subject, but I understand all lenses are unique so the method for say, a 50mm 1.4 AI is going to be very different than my 20mm. Is there anything unique to the 20mm or lenses like it (such as the CRC mechanism) that I need to watch out for?

I am mechanically inclined, but unfamiliar with lens construction/design theory/terminology, so my worries lie in accidentally disassembling parts from eachother that need to be kept in alignment (I have read about the helicoids not being reinstalled properly and losing the ability to focus for much of the range). Getting it apart is never the issue -- getting it back together is, haha.

Should I even attempt something like this, or just send it in for repair if the lens does need a CLA? If sending it in is the right call, any recommendations on a shop that still works on MF lenses?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 20mm f2.8 Ai-S repair

G