Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Spots inside my 50 f/1.2 ai lens, what is it?

NikonMark37814

Morristown, US
1125 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010
Sat 04-May-13 11:27 PM

I bought a 50 f/1.2 ai lens from a Nikonian over a years ago. After a few months of use I discovered a small cluster, maybe 15-20 circular spots in the middle of one of the elements. The spots have not grown or branched out like fungus. After a year or more the spots have stayed the same. I'm currious what these spots may be? Any ideas? Is it safe to use the lens like this and not spread anything nasty if the spots turn out to be a problem? If the spots aren't hurting anything I'll continue to use the lens as is. I don't want to spend $150-200 on a cleaning. BTW, I've had a couple of lenses with fungus and they both had the typical spider webs inside the elements and I don't see this pattern in this lens.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G