Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Pre-AI mounting issues.

TBerryhill

US
47 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
TBerryhill Registered since 16th Jan 2013
Fri 26-Apr-13 11:42 PM

I came to digital Nikons with an array of mid-60's MF lens, some of which I have had satisfactorily converted by John White. Now for the rest of them: it seems that at least some conversions consist of milling away a portion of a projecting ridge of plastic or aluminum at the outside edge of the mounting surface. On contemporary lenses that space may be occupied by a flexible skirt that serves as a dust and rain excluder. Some of the lenses, tubes and teleconverters that I have, do not have that rigid projecting ridge and seemingly mount without difficulty and operate normally, that is, exposure by trial and error. The extension tube that came with the 55mm f3.5, PK13?, in fact allows unmodified lenses to be mounted. Of course, it restricts their use to close focus operations. Now the question: the Soligor 400mm f6,3 lens that I found to be quite sharp when used on the D5100 which was approved for non=AI lenses, also has no inflexible ridge that would prevent it from being mounted. Still, I have been unable to get myself to turn it fully into locked engagement for fear of damaging something. Can anyone reassure me? I would like to use this lens for small bird photos where my 28-300 is just a little short. The longer Nikon lenses are not in the budget at this time. Anyone out there have experience in these issues? Nikon call centers and forums DEFINITELY do not. If I am not making myself clear, let me know where the ambiguity lies. Tom

G