Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Presets for different shooting situations with D700

rhay_tana

US
41 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rhay_tana Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Dec 2008
Fri 02-Jan-09 03:49 AM

I just traded my Canon 5D in for a Nikon D700, and have a feeling that I'm going to give up something I relied on with the 5D ... but thought I'd post here first, to see if I'm mistaken.

I do lots of event type photography, in which I can lose shots if I have to spend much time fiddling with camera settings. The 5D let me set a couple of custom settings that I could swap in and out of rapidly, when following subjects from brightly lit outdoors to indoor settings. For instance, I could quickly go from: 1/640 shutter speed at ISO 400, to 1/40 shutter speed at ISO 1600, just by making one change on a dial.

When I dove into the D700 manual, I was elated to learn about shooting menu banks and custom settings banks ... and then disappointed to discover that these don't seem to help at all. Shooting menu banks won't save a shutter speed setting, or a shutter priority vs aperture priority setting. The *only* thing they're good for -- for this shooter -- is saving ISO information.

So far, the best I've been able to do is set the Function Key to call up My Menu, and then assigned My Menu to list shooting menu banks first. I've renamed Shooting Menu Bank A to 6400, for 6400 ISO, and also gave the other menu banks different names for different ISO settings. That, at least, lets me quickly change ISO settings, without having to hunt for the ISO button and then look at the control panel while I turn the command dial.

But to change shutter speeds, I do have to watch the control panel while turning the dial. And to change from shutter priority to aperture priority, I've gotta find the mode button, hold it down, and watch the control panel while turning the command dial. No presets, no shortcuts.

Nikonians, am I doing something wrong?! Is there a way to set presets that can be changed in and out of quickly?

Thanks!

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Presets for different shooting situations with D700

G