Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Function Button Advice Requested

drjh68

Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK
151 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
drjh68 Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Oct 2003
Sun 28-Dec-08 01:05 PM | edited Sun 28-Dec-08 01:12 PM by drjh68

Greetings to all! I have been a silent but very satisfied Nikonian for many film-camera years. A month ago I moved over to the D700 and, like so many, am totally delighted with it and cannot imagine needing any further meaningful upgrade (famous last words).

I am working through the Nikon Handbook and the equally good one by Thom Hogan. One problem I have not solved yet is use of the Function button. At the moment I only have two functions on it – non-CPU lens data, and Virtual Horizon. The difficulty is that Virtual Horizon has to be assigned to the Function-Button Press list, and the non-CPU data to Function Button+Dials list (if I have correctly understood it).

This seems to mean that you can only get one or the other by pressing the Func Button, as it only displays for the option chosen in the f.5 menu. So, if the menu is set to Virtual Horizon when you are using non-CPU lenses, pressing the button will only give you the non-CPU data, and vice versa. To get the virtual Horizon you have to go back and change the setting in the menu.

Perhaps this is intended and unavoidable, but it is a bit fiddly. Can someone using these two facilities advise please? Have I missed a trick somewhere?

Having said all that, I can’t help feeling like a spoilt child for mentioning it. In all other respects the D700 is the answer to so many prayers, including some I had never even thought of making. The facility which gives me the greatest satisfaction is the Pre-set Manual White Balance, enabling you to get near perfect balance in mixed lighting by measuring a white card with the camera.

Thanks for reading this.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 Function Button Advice Requested

G