Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
hiroProtagonist

Wesley Chapel, US
150 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
hiroProtagonist Registered since 30th Oct 2006
Wed 24-Dec-08 02:01 AM

I'd have to say I'm about 98% satisfied with my D700 but there are a few (very few) items I'm not quite crazy about. I read a post in another forum where several D700 owners were complaining about the lack of a CF card lock, and how the card doors on their Nikons would accidentally get pulled open. Its never happened to me and I can't say I really miss the lock myself. I'd never even really thought about it until I read the post. Even though I don't share the posters frustration with the CF card door the thread got me thinking about what I don't like about the D700. Some of my gripes may be true of other Nikons and not specific to the D700 and a few of them could likely be corrected in firmware. None of these comes close to being a deal breaker, just a few things that I think could be improved.
1. The defaults for the two button reset. It seems this would be more useful if we could choose our own defaults.
2, Bracketing being limited to steps of 1EV or less. In HDR you typically want -2EV, 0, +2EV; to do so on the D700 requires 5 shots (-2EV,-1EV,0,+1EV,+2EV). Not a big deal but there are times when I'd prefer to do so in 3 shots.
3. I miss the dedicated bracket button of the D200, obviously this one can't be fixed in firmware.

I'm almost completely happy with the camera but there is still some room for improvement. I'd be interested in hearing what others see as the D700's short comings.

Bob Beerbower

My Blog
http://www.thehyperfocaldistance.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

The word 'art' is very slippery. It really has no importance in relation to one's work. I work for the pleasure of the work, and everything else is a matter for the critics.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 dislikes