Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 now or wait for the D700X or whatever it will be?????

tony t

Mount Arlington, US
42 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
tony t Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Nov 2005
Mon 15-Dec-08 12:40 AM

Hi everyone, I have been waiting a long time to upgrade my existing DSLR and I am really not sure what to do at this point. I primarily shoot portrait and landscape photography and I’m currently using a D100, as I said, I have been waiting a long time to upgrade. I almost upgraded to the D200 a few years ago, however, I held off and purchased some new lenses at that time instead, however, I now have started looking at the D300 and almost went for it before a friend told me about the new Canon 5D MII with full frame and 21MP. I have invested in a few Nikon lenses and like the brand much better than Canon, however, it just opened up the issue of full frame vs. DX and I have been looking for input to help me decide what to do.
To make a long story a little shorter, I am now thinking about the D700 based on reading the forums here. It sounds perfect to me but it is a little light on resolution at 12.1MP compared to the Canon at 21MP. I also went to the DXO website and saw that the top rated DSLR’s are the D3 and the D700 with the Canon 5D MII coming in 4th.
With all that said and the recent introduction of the D3X, I’m wondering how much better the D700x (or whatever) will be and is it worth waiting for that model. My feeling now is that the D700 is already at least slightly better than the Canon 5 MII and the price is less. Also, I hear a lot of talk that the 24.5 MP CMOS is not as good at low light.
I think I have convinced myself that the D700 is the right choice; however, I’m looking for some validation on that. The whole mega pixel thing bothers me a little. My thinking was that 12MP on a DX chip (the D300) sounds better than 12MP on a FX chip (D700) at twice the chip size.
So the bottom line is do I buy the D300, the D700 or wait for the D700x or whatever?
Any comments or input to help put me over the edge and pull the trigger would be great.
PS: I only invested in one DX lens so I’m not too worried about that.
Thanks,
Tony T.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 now or wait for the D700X or whatever it will ...
Reply message I'm more interested in the price drop
Reply message RE: I'm more interested in the price drop
     Reply message RE: I'm more interested in the price drop

G