Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
griffley

US
73 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
griffley Registered since 29th Sep 2008
Mon 10-Nov-08 01:58 AM

I'm sure this has been asked again and again.

I use a D80 and I'm simply lukewarm concerning its IQ and low light performance. My pictures seem to have a 2 dimensional bland quality. I simply can't get pictures to pop like I did with film. Most of this is due to the camera body I use. I know this because I have used a D3 in the past and the images I took with the 35/2 were 3d-like. Yes, I can always improve technique. I've been shooting for almost 20 years so I know I can always improve. I'm also not new to using cameras and manipulating exposure. I almost exclusively use my 50/1.8 as the IQ I get is better than any other lens I have.

It really is time to make a move in my equipment or go back to film. Here are the scenarios....

D90 + 24-70
D700 + 50/1.8 (buy more as funds replenish)
D300 + used 17-55

All of these come out to be about $2500. Selling all of my DX stuff actually makes the move to a D700 more affordable. I'd be left with a flash and one lens, but I could live with that for awhile.

I basically shoot my family and anything that is interesting. A road sign, a building, landscapes, you name it I try to shoot it. I shoot in manual mode. I set the shutter, aperture, and leave the ISO on auto as my variable. My D80 rocks, but it just doesn't have the punch I'm looking for. I'm sure most D700 users went through this. Was the leap to FX worth it? Thanks for your insights.

G