Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 question re: skintones

joey

Woodstock, CA
528 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
joey Registered since 24th Dec 2003
Thu 30-Oct-08 06:10 PM

Hi Everyone,

It has been a very long time since I posted here. I have been a long time Nikon shooter since the film days and I purchased a D70 when it was released which I still own and use.

However, over time I ended up accumulating a lot of Canon gear and did not really build my Nikon set up any further. I am very pleased and familiar with Canon's IQ but I feel a little out of the loop concerning Nikon's image quality on their current cameras.

I am not one to bash or switch brands but I am sitting on the fence whether I buy the 5d MKII or just bite the bullet and invest and stay with Nikon for good (which I have preferred all along)

So I come here seeking your advice I am really interested in purchasing a D700 but I have heard conflicting reports concerning the quality of its skin tones compared to Canon's. I have heard such remarks as them being plasticky and more difficult to post process. It all sounds like nonsense to me but I would love to hear an unbiased opinion (if such a thing exists ).

I quite regularly process files from the D70 alongside a Canon 20d & 5d and right away I can pick out the D70's files since I don't feel they look as nice. I understand we are comparing apples to oranges here but could someone please enlighten me on either the difference they have noticed when coming from a camera like the D70 or even an X Canon shooter who now uses a D700. Does anyone have some side by side comparisons between a D70 and/ or Canon camera so I can gauge the advancements?

I have no doubt the D700 isn't an excellent camera. However, my main reason for considering switching is I am a little tired of Canons ergonomics, their "poor" AF in cameras such as the 5d, I do not like their 24-70, also I don't want a 21mp sensor.

I primarily shoot weddings and portraits and that is why nice looking skin tones are important to me (along with high iso and noise handling). Sure I can try one out or rent one and that is my goal but I am trying to gather as much information as possible to aid in my decision.

Also, please do not offer advice on the cost of switching, the grass is greener etc. Trust me I have analyzed it from every angle, I truly wish I was happy with my Canon gear and my final decision has come down to skin tones. I feel the D700 excels in almost every other area over my current 5d and is a better match for my shooting style. Thanks

G