Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Using rear AF instead of shutter AF for soccer question

Nikon32250

St. Augustine, US
4021 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004
Mon 27-Jan-14 12:37 AM

I have a question concerning the use of the rear AF button for soccer or similar sports. I understand the basics of putting the camera in AF-C mode and turning on AF activation to AF-ON only. What would be the correct setting for AF-C Priority selection? Would I be better off simply setting it to Release as opposed to Release and Focus?

Also, what happens during a soccer game if I am holding the rear AF button pushed in and tracking a player with the ball and then the player gets hidden by some other players? Will the rear AF still have him in focus when he emerges or do I need to re-acquire focus? Or do I use it conjunction with Focus tracking with lock-on?

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G