Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
GeorgCantor

Potomac, US
138 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
GeorgCantor Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Dec 2012
Mon 11-Nov-13 04:35 AM

Having recently acquired a D700 for sports photography, I shoot at speed = 1/500, auto ISO off, set ISO manually as the light varies, to keep aperture in the 5.6 to f/10 range (or wider if i don't want depth of field), RAW.

I am still getting the feel of how this camera responds. Matrix metering is on. When there are patches of bright sunlight on, say, a soccer field (or a baseball field, but part of the field is in deep (but open) shade, I find that overall, the exposure for the field is correct, but direct sunlight on faces tends to be somewhat overexposed, although not obviously blown. If this is the way the camera operates (because the overexposure of faces is not obvious from the histogram, now that I know this, I could set the exposure -1 EV, for example. Or is there a better way? Reduce contrast, e.g.,? Or just deal with it in PP?

Similarly, when there is a lot of deep shadow,in front of a sunlit background, the matrix metering will average, and the background will be correct, the shadows too dark. I used fill flash, but that tends to be too bright, changing the character of the image. Of course, now knowing this, I can assume that I need to reduce the flash intensity manually. Or PP?

I need to understand the best way to deal with this as a stnadard procedure, because, during a game, there is no time for experimentation. I suppose i could resort to bracketing -- but, again, I can;t see this on the LCD (perhaps because of the daylight glare) or on the histogram. But its obviuous on the computer.

I had thought the camera would be as smarter than this. But I know know how it behaves in these clear bright daylight situations. So I could just do the manual adjustments noted above. (Although fill flash is not practical, when I need bursts to capture action).

It does not look like the camera's meter is out of calibration, because the overall brightness of the sunlit background is perfect. If I use single point metering obn the specific subject, , the background will be blown.

Any suggestions,please, beyond my conclusions?

Thank you.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: bright sunlight