Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 Hot Shoe Issue?

BForbes

Alexandria, US
120 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
BForbes Basic Member
Tue 15-Oct-13 03:06 PM

Hello,
I have been using a D700 for about two years and mainly shoot weddings. Overall life has been good with this camera and using an SB-900 or SB-910. I use Eneloops for batteries. I have to say that this last wedding I did must have been the most frustrating experience I've had with any camera. The first thing I noticed was at the wedding rehearsal, the flash started continuously flashing bursts without me hitting the shutter release button; it looked like a strobe light at a disco. It was weird, but I did not have any further problems that evening.

The next day at the wedding however, which was held mostly under a tent because of possible weather concerns, I noticed that the flash missed many shots and did not fire and the camera had problems trying to focus. It kept hunting. For those shots I was using a 24-70 2.8 with camera set to AF-S and once in a while to AF-C. I used mostly aperture priority and 800-ISO with Matrix metering for the under the tent shots. This was happening intermittently. It was certainly not dark under that tent; just shaded. Needless to say I missed the "first kiss" shot because of this issue. The EXIF info shows that the flash was fired. We were able to take the portrait shots out in the open field, it was fairly bright overcast, I noticed with the flash still attached but turned off, the camera started to severely overexpose. Is this possibly the D700 "hot shoe issue" I've been hearing about? Additionally, this was the first wedding I used the SD-8a battery pack which I've had since I owned an SB-800 before. Knowing that this wedding and reception was going to be under a tent and continue there after dark I thought it would be best to use the battery pack.

It was really scary seeing that 24-70 hunt for focus with the fair amount of light I had; never had this issue before with the 24-70 either. Does an issue with the flash and possibly hot shoe issue effect the autofocus as well? During the reception and dancing I did not have any other issues except for the lens hunting to focus on occasion. Taking shots with a lot of people hopping around on a dance floor in tight quarters can be a challenge though.

I should have had my SB-910 closer so that I could grab it, my fault there, it was locked in my car. But I'm not sure if that would have mattered. I shot a wedding a couple of weeks ago without a single problem but I believe I was using an SB-910 for that wedding.

Sorry for rambling, I 'm pretty ticked off.

Brent

D700, D300, D70, SB-900, SB-910, Nikkor 24-70 2.8, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G AF, Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D AF, Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G AF-S, Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF, Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED AF, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 Hot Shoe Issue?