Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700: Are the days of the Jack of all Trades camera over?

rws67

Cedar Park, US
31 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
rws67 Registered since 21st Jun 2013
Fri 28-Jun-13 02:37 PM

I have been thinking of upgrading my camera bodies for a while but Nikon has thrown me and probably many of you for a loop.

My D700 was and is my Jack of all Trades go to camera. For landscape on a tripod the full frame is excellent. For concerts or shooting handheld at night the high ISO has been great. For sports adding the battery pack 8 fps is about all you need to capture the ball compressing off the bat on a swing. I even use it for a astro photography camera on my mount and telescope.

Wildlife shooting is the only thing I never used it for except for early morning or late evening being the high ISO is better than my D300 ( which is another topic, where is the D400? )

So now Nikon has kind of taken a course of more specific cameras for different applications. The D4 for Sports or Photojournalism and being only 16 mp really not as good as a DX or D800 for cropping plus that card that no one else seems to be implementing could go the way of the Betamax but who knows.

The D800 is excellent for landscape or shooting when you are taking your time but is slow for sports or wildlife that is more action although great if the subject is still (which I will say is probably 80% of the time) The fact that a pro body DX camera has not been released has me just sitting idle. Now I know the D7100 is a great camera but I crawl around in brush and can be rough sometimes getting the shot so I need a pro body type camera.

So is this a good path that Nikon has chosen or are they going to hurt themselves by putting these cameras into more specific areas. I would have no problem getting a D4 if it could do it all like what I would say the D3s could or the D700. But it seems Nikon has really split these bodies into more specific areas. So maybe I am just ranting and being a baby about it or are these some serious concerns that others have had as well. Of course if I had deep, deep pockets I would just get one of each and call it a day. Guess I better get my powerball ticket. LOL.

Rob

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

G