Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question!

The Shooter

Perth, AU
134 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
The Shooter Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2007
Tue 25-Jun-13 08:14 AM

Dear Friends,

I have been pondering about a transfer to the dark side for a while now and a few Nikon advances have seen me become a bit impatient to go to FX; and I need you guys to give me clarity where otherwise confusion reigns.
The advances in Nikon D800's, D600's and D7100's are that I cannot afford the high end, I don't want video, I don't won't to change my cards.
I shoot with a D300 and have a D70s as backup (or the wife uses it when she feels the need to join me, mainly in Aug/Sep when the wild flowers come out in Western Australia)
I would like to find a low click (rare) D700 to move to FX. These are very rare in our fair land of Oz and therefore hold a good price when you can find one. And since it has taken so long to find one (still looking) the nasty seed of doubt grows in the brain.

So my D700 reasonings are these;
Same layout as my D300
Same batteries and CF cards
The amount of good press from you guys that enjoy them.

The thing I have against the change to FX is mainly based on my current lenses and the crop values of the D700.
I understand that if I use my wonderful 17-55mm f2.8 on a D700 the crop takes the picture to 5.1mp, which is sub level of my D70s.

If I bought a D600, for all the wrong personal reasons mentioned above, the crop value is 12.1mp which would at least give me the same quality that I have now. from my D300.

One shop assistant said I should forget about changing to FX and go to the best DX, a D7100. But all I see for my money is video, SD cards, smaller meterage (39 instead of 51) etc.

If you look at my current list of lenses you will see that there are only two, 50mm 1.8D and 70-300mm 4-5.6G that I could use on an FX camera.
I can see that it would appear that I want my cake and eat it too but I am just trying to make the transfer as least financially and equipment loss as possible.

I am all ears.................

Thanks in anticipation
Andy

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: D700 - To FX or not to FX - DX is the question!

G