Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?

elliotm00

US
15 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
elliotm00 Registered since 16th May 2011
Sat 06-Apr-13 02:47 PM

I recently purchased a Kingston x266 16GB CF card for my D700. When I leave the camera powered on, it would never go into a standby mode. The analog exposure meter would continue to blink continuously and never turn off. The battery would drain completely in a few hours. I tried a second (both Nikon-branded) battery with the same results.

I later noticed that the CF light would flash once every 6 seconds. This was, in fact, the auto meter turn off delay value. If I change it (c2) to 4 seconds, then the CF light would flash every 4 seconds.

When I take the card out, the camera correctly goes into standby mode.

I had ordered another Kingston card, a 600x 16GB, and I get the same problem.

I called Nikon support. They were very helpful and pointed out that Kingston is not on their official list of supported cards. Fair enough, even though many of the cards that are on the official list are no longer available.

Here's the punchline: I put in an old SanDisk 1GB card, which IS on the official list. Same problem.

Yes, I format in camera. Yes, two-button reset. Two different mounted lenses and with no lens. Lens cap on. And off.

Other than this, the camera seems to function normally. I use AF-ON and all my photos were saved correctly on the card and exposed as expected.

Is the D700 broken?

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Doesn't go into standby mode -- it's the CF card?

G