Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the d700

JPJ

Toronto, CA
1327 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
JPJ Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Aug 2009
Wed 16-Jan-13 05:28 AM

I thought I would post this as I know a lot of people looking at going to FX are asking d600, d800 or d700?

Well after a few years of toying with the idea of jumping to FX (mostly for ISO performance as I find myself shooting more and more low light) I finally made the leap. I was happy with my d7000 for the most part, but the ISO performance was lagging behind what I needed.

I actually bought a d600 and after an exchange I returned it (luckily I have an excellent relationship with a local shop). Both cameras attracted an unacceptable amount of sensor dust. I appreciate this issue might be correctable with several cleanings and time, but I wasn't going to pay 2000+ for a camera that needed that type of immediate maintenance.

I trialed a d800 and loved the camera, but not at 36 MP's where I found getting a truly sharp handheld photo too challenging for my liking even at higher than average shutter speeds for the conditions. I am not the steadiest shooter around and this is a camera that will test your technique to the limits. I wasn't going to pay 3000 for a camera that I probably wouldn't use to its potential and was far too revealing of my flaws (I like to live in my fantasy world where I rock).

I then decided to try and track down a used d700 and grip. Found one last week, paid 1400 with just over 30,000 clicks on it and looks brand new (previous owner was female - not trying to be sexist at all but do women take better care of camera equipment because this thing was impeccable and she kept all the packaging, even the plastic wrappers). That is about 50% less than the d600 with grip and tax, and 75% less than the d800 with grip and tax.

So far I am loving this camera, and particularly, I am actually liking the form factor over the smaller DX. Not sure how much I will like the weight when I haul it around this summer, but time will tell. What I do know is that it performs great up to ISO 6400, has no dust issues, or black focus point issues, etc. etc. 12 MP's is all I have ever needed and will ever need and at the price I paid I considered it a no brainer. I am not a pro, and I have no desire to spend money I don't need to.

Honestly, for me this might be camera perfection and if I were Nikon I would have basically applied the increased ISO performance and DR of the d600/d800's and called it a day - the rest of it to me either detracts or is unnecessary. Maybe if they had, they would have avoided the problems that both cameras have had...maybe not. I love the tonality of this camera (which is saying something because I thought the d7k's was awesome) and I am very much looking forward to years of fun with it.

I'll post an update once I get it out for more shoots.

Jason

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: My FX jump finally happened, and my choice was the ...

G