Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

English German French

Home Forums Articles Galleries Recent Photos Contest Help Search News Workshops Shop Upgrade Membership Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Picture controls

expat

Qawra St Pauls Bay, MT
532 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
expat Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2010
Fri 14-Dec-12 07:59 PM

I have my D700 as a rule set to Neutral Pic control and I only shoot NEF RAW.

Sorry if its a stupid idea but cant quite get my head around the fact that different picture controls set in camera are going to produce different spreads in the histogram on the LCD.

So if I am in Neutral Picture Control and check that the histogram is not up against the right hand edge in camera and then open the RAW in Capture NX2 and decide to change the control at that stage to say Landscape then the histogram will increase in width.
So would it be better to set Landscape in camera (despite being able to change the RAW in post)in order to set/judge the exposure for max to the right. Because Neutral produces the narrower band on the LCD?

Does it matter as long as it was properly exposed within the axis in camera when set in Neutral.
ie NX2 should provide enough control.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Picture controls

G